Easy Summer Treats & Desserts
The kids are home for the summer, and the weather is inspiring cravings for ice cream, barbecue and more. You can make their time away from school memorable with summer treats that are quick, easy and delicious. Even better, you can make them using ingredients already found in the kitchen. Here are just a few snacks to serve up this summer.
Healthy and Energizing Bites
Whether the kids are splashing around in the pool all afternoon or participating in summer camps, you know they’re going to come back hungry. Satisfy their cravings and give them a boost by filling muffin tins with a variety of protein-rich foods. For instance, add in assorted nuts, cheese cubes, berries and snap peas.
And, who doesn’t love pizza? It’s nice to indulge every so often, and this fun Berry Watermelon Pizza recipe is both fun to eat and healthy, too. Follow these steps to a scrumptious pizza:
- Slice watermelon into circular pieces that are at least an inch thick. These slices will serve as the “crust.”
- Spread plain or vanilla Greek yogurt over the top of each watermelon slice as the “sauce.”
- Top with fresh fruit like strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries.
- Cut into triangular pieces and serve.
There is a plethora of easy, summer treats just waiting for you to create. Chocolate-dipped bananas, for example, are sure to please any crowd and, best of all, they’re easy to make. Simply freeze banana halves, then dip in melted chocolate and sprinkle with crushed nuts if desired. And, keep in mind, they don’t have to all be eaten at once, as they’ll stay fresh in the freezer for up to two weeks.
You can also transform your favorite juices into savory frozen juice pops, which are a great way to fuel the kiddos with some extra vitamins during hot days. Of course, no summer is complete without the sweet taste of refreshing lemonade. Put a fun touch on this age-old classic by trying this recipe with a frozen twist:
- Place lemon slices, lemon zest, and water in a blender.
- Add granulated sugar until you achieve the desired sweetness.
- Add ice and blend.
Few things define summer as much as the dreamy combo of graham crackers, chocolate, and marshmallows found in s’ mores. But, these summer treats can be a hassle to make, from building a fire to the messy hands and faces that need cleaning afterward. Thankfully, this gluten-free, no-bake S’mores Bars recipe will save the day. Follow these steps:
- Smash graham crackers into crumbs in a medium bowl.
- Add melted butter and mix well.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and press the mixture down into the pan to form a crust.
- Spread marshmallow fluff over the crust.
- Top with melted chocolate.
- Sprinkle more crushed graham cracker crumbs over the chocolate.
- Pop the pan into the freezer for 30 minutes, and then place it in the fridge.
- Keep refrigerated until it’s time to serve.
Bring the Kids to Garry’s
With the kids’ return to school still months away, it won’t be long before you’re itching for a meal out. At Garry’s, our kid-friendly menu will please the youngsters at all hours of the day. For instance, they can enjoy Flap Jacks or Mini Waffles for breakfast, our Big Kids Grilled Cheese for lunch and a Crabby Patty for dinner. Afterward, check out our selection of pastries, cakes and more at our bakery for some summer treats to bring back home. To learn more, call us today at 410-544-0499.