Irresistible Appetizers for Outdoor Picnics
Whether you’re planning a romantic date or a family affair, you can’t go wrong with an outdoor picnic at the park. The end of summer is the perfect time to gather everyone you love to enjoy the beautiful weather and, of course, eat lots of tasty bites. This year, we’re ditching the hot dogs and bagged potato chips for some new and creative hors d’oeuvres. Even better, all of these recipes can be prepared in just under an hour. So, put a spin on your sunny afternoon with these great appetizers for outdoor picnics.
Pimento Mac & Cheese Bites
If you love traditional mac and cheese, you haven’t seen anything yet. The whole family is sure to love these poppable, gooey pimento mac and cheese bites. Follow the steps below to prepare your delcicious bites:
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add macaroni, and cook. Drain well and set the pasta aside.
- Melt 2 tbsp. butter in a pot over medium heat. Add in 2 tbsp. flour and ¾ cup whole milk. Whisk constantly for 5 minutes until thick.
- Combine 3 oz. cream cheese, 2 tbsp. mayonnaise, 4 tsp. spicy brown mustard, 2 tsp. hot sauce, and ¾ tsp cayenne pepper in a large bowl and stir until smooth. Then, add cooled flour mixture and 1 egg and stir. Add 2 cups cheddar cheese, ½ cup of bread crumbs, and ½ cup of diced pimentos and stir to combine. Add the macaroni and stir.
- Heat the oven to 375°. Spoon cups of the macaroni mixture into mini muffin tins. Bake until the bites are bubbling and deep golden brown at the edges, about 10 minutes.
Homemade hummus is one of the healthiest appetizers for outdoor picnics! Plus, it’s a lot easier to make than you think, and the recipe only calls for a few ingredients.
To begin, rinse and drain 1 cup soaked chickpeas before placing them in a saucepan and add fresh water. Then, add 1/2 cup olive oil and 1/2 tsp. salt. Bring to a boil, cover and cook over medium-low heat for about 1 hour. After that, drain the chickpeas, and place them in the food processor. Add 3 peeled garlic cloves, 1/2 cup of tahini, lemon juice, and the rest of the salt and process until smooth. Finally, sprinkle with cayenne and za’atar and drizzle with olive oil. Enjoy with toasted pita wedges and veggies on the side.
Spicy Corn and Chorizo Nachos
This loaded nacho appetizer couldn’t be tastier or more simple to prepare in just under 10 minutes. All you need is a bag of tortilla chips, 2 cups cheddar cheese, 3 oz. chorizo, 1 cup frozen corn, and a 1/2 cup of pickled jalapeño slices. To prepare your spicy corn and chorizo nachos, start by heating the oven to 450° F. Then, layer the tortilla chips, cheddar, chorizo, and corn on a foil-lined baking sheet. After that, simply bake until the cheese is melted, roughly 3 to 5 minutes. Finally, top with jalapeños and enjoy!
Maple Glazed Cinnamon Chip Bars
These maple-glazed cinnamon chip bars are the perfect mix between coffee cake and cookie bars. Not to mention, they’re easy to pack along in your picnic basket, and your kitchen will smell amazing while they bake! Follow along to prepare the bars:
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, mix 1 cup of butter and 2 cups of brown sugar until well blended. Beat in 2 tsp. vanilla and 2 eggs, one at a time.
- In another bowl, whisk together 2 and ⅔ cups of flour, 2 tsp. baking powder and 1 tsp. salt, and stir into creamed mixture. Then, add in ¾ cup of cinnamon chips.
- Spread into a greased baking pan and sprinkle with 1 tbsp. cinnamon sugar. Bake until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix all glaze ingredients, including ½ cup confectioners’ sugar, 3 tbsp. maple syrup, and ½ tsp. vanilla extract. Drizzle over top of the pan and cut into bars.
Bring it on Home to Garry’s
These irresistible appetizers for outdoor picnic are sure to spice up your summer gatherings. But, if you ever want to take a break from the cooking, stop by Garry’s for breakfast, lunch, and dinner daily. You’re sure to find even more tasty recipes on our menu. Also, see what other sweet treats you can order at our bakery.